Skillet Mac + Cheese (vegan AND gluten free!).
Let me make this short + sweet for you...
This right here is from one Mac + Cheese fanatic to the many others I know that are out there and aren't shy about it. The ones who just raised their hands, but know they don’t always feel so sexy after savoring the divine, creamy, and gluten heavy masterpiece. Because of your needs, and my desires, this dish needed to be created.
This time around, my usual love letter of “wellness wisdom” is going to be taking the back burner. Simply because sometimes we just need take a break from the reasons to eat something, turn up the tunes, and enjoy creating this no-fail, heavenly, skillet mac + cheese.
Vegan comfort food never tasted so good...
3 as a main, 5 as an appetizer
- 1 8oz box GF pasta shells (i love these quinoa ones)
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight and rinsed well)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2-3/4 c filtered water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 1/3 c almond meal
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp herbs de provence
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cook pasta according to box instructions.
- Next, in a small skillet over low-medium heat, add the coconut oil, almond meal, herbs de province and salt. Toast until lightly golden, about 5-7 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, add cashews, garlic, 1/2 cup of water, yeast, mustard, salt and lemon juice to blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy. (add a bit more water as needed to create the texture you desire).
- In a large bowl toss together the cashew cream sauce, pasta and jalapeños (if you’re spicing it up a bit!) until mixed well. Pour contents into a skillet (or glass dish) and cook for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Create a beautiful atmosphere; maybe light some candles and play some old classics. Serve with your favorite green salad and savor your new autumn go-to dinner.